Could I be a judge or prosecutor ?
ARE YOUR INTERESTS, YOUR QUALIFICATIONS, SKILLS AND CAREER PLANS COMPATIBLE WITH A CAREER IN THE JUDICIARY? THE TYPES OF PROFILE MOST WIDELY REPRESENTED IN RECENT YEAR GROUPS AT THE ENM, JUDGES AND PROSECUTORS' PAY, SKILLS YOU ARE EXPECTED TO HAVE, FUNCTIONAL AND/OR GEOGRAPHICAL MOBILITY REQUIREMENTS DURING YOUR CAREER… THESE ARE JUST SOME OF THE THINGS YOU CAN CONSIDER TO DECIDE WHETHER THIS IS THE CAREER FOR YOU.
SKILLS EXPECTED OF A JUDGE OR PROSECUTOR
13 fundamental skills have been identified as necessary for a judge/prosecutor to exercise the different functions they may hold, but also to cope with the environments and human situations they will face.
The acquisition of these skills is worked on throughout the training at the ENM and during the internships that the trainees undertake in the courts.
COULD I BE A JUDGE OR PROSECUTOR?
How can you tell if you have what it takes to be a judge or prosecutor? Here are some of the qualities and skills that can be assets.
- Being organised and rigorous
- The ability to analyse and synthesise
- The ability to adapt to different situations and types of people
- The ability to listen
- Being able to work to tight deadlines and manage your stress
- Knowing how to work in a team
- Being an articulate speaker and, particularly, being at ease speaking in public
- Knowing how to remain at the correct distance and keep your emotions in check, in particular when faced with a difficult situation
- Being a natural teacher, since a judge or prosecutor needs to be able to explain their decisions
- Meeting high standards of professional ethics (if you already have a profession)
Video in French
FUNCTIONAL AND/OR GEOGRAPHICAL MOBILITY
Geographical mobility (changing the place where you work) and/or functional mobility (changing duties at the same court or when moving to another court) is encouraged in the judiciary: it generally occurs every 5 to 7 years, and often more often early in a career. This is a way of guaranteeing independence and open-mindedness as well as being personally rewarding for the judge/prosecutor, and it is taken into account in their career progression.
See also : Varied career paths in the judiciary
HOW MUCH ARE JUDGES AND PROSECUTORS PAID?
The starting salary for a judge or prosecutor is €2,678 net per month. This then increases with the number of years' service: it reaches €3,362 after 6 years and €6,577 for a judge or prosecutor with 19 years of service.